javascript:void(0)

Sunday, June 18, 2017

A New Zoo

Since moving here I was asked to start a playgroup for the women in my church.  At first I wasn't sure about this new responsibility.  I know nothing about this area and I know none of these women.  After being here a month I can safely say it has been the best thing that has ever happened to me.  It has pulled me out of my house when I would probably be more inclined to stay in.  It has pushed me to socialize and get to know the women in the area which I'm sure will result in making a lot of friends.  
When moving here I prayed for one thing.  I wanted a really good friend.  I don't need a lot...just one.
I found that in Texas and I was sure that if I could do it again, then living in a strange place new place wouldn't be so bad.  
If I didn't already know by now, I would know today that God is in the details.  He knew exactly what I needed when he put me here.  I'm excited to see what else he has in store.  
This weeks activity was the Zoo.  They were having a party and invited a bunch of vendors and gave away a bunch of free stuff.   
I was asking a few of the women at church about the Zoo and some of them laughed as they described it as a glorified petting zoo.  I would say their description was pretty accurate, but I fell in love with it while I was there.  It was kind of picturesque with the river running through it.  There are beautiful gardens and quite a distance between exhibits.  Audrey kept telling me over and over how amazing it was.  Of course she loved getting her face painted and filling her bag with cool trinkets too.  
Audrey's favorite part was a scavenger hunt.  We had to find animals that could swim, animals that were nocturnal, our favorite animals, animals that live in forests, and many more.  She was so excited when she finished filling it out because that meant she could have a small stuffed animal at the end.  She picked this little bear that she now sleeps with every night.  It's currently her favorite toy and her very best friend.
When we finished up I bought us a snow cone to share.  I had to order the bubblegum flavor in reminiscence of my childhood.  I built up in my mind how amazing it was going to taste as I thought about selling snow cones during the summer when I was a kid.  I'm pretty sure we ate more than we sold.  I was just a little disappointed when the bubblegum tasted nothing like bubblegum.  It was more like watered down cotton candy.  Audrey kept raving about how delicious it was and how she couldn't believe we were eating snow.  It was totally worth the $3.00.  Seeing it through her eyes was far better than the snow cone I'd imagined in my mind.  Maybe someday I'll get to treat her to a better version of the bubblegum snow cone. :)      




























No comments: